Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fog Bank, October 17, 2012

I missed Oct. 1 & 8.


This week's Fog Bank is only going to have three picks, because I'm going to editorialize a bit at the end.

First, Dan Satterfield has a post at the American Geophysical Union blog about NOAA weather satellite funding
http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2011/06/29/defunding-of-noaa-weather-satellites-means-goodbye-to-the-7-day-forecast/

CIMSS had a post on the coverage from polar orbiting satellites during the GOES-13 outage
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/category/goes-13

My final pick for this week is all about CoCoRaHS.  
I know we have a lot of folks listening to the show that are in, or have close contacts with, media outlets.  My first challenge to you is to setup your own CoCoRaHS gauge at your stations, and start putting those reports on your broadcasts and on your station websites.

My second challenge is for you to work with community organizations, and start getting CoCoRaHS stations setup at schools.  This is a great opportunity to do some science outreach in our schools, and get the school kids interested in science, math, and specifically, meteorology.

If you get one setup, let me know, and I will mention it on the Fog Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment